Helpful Tips Tenancy Management

Call of the week – I’m a landlord in Wales and I’m moving abroad. Is there anything I need to consider?

Call of the week
Victoria Barker
Written by Victoria Barker

A member recently contacted us to say that they were planning on moving abroad to live in a few months time, hundreds of miles away from their two rental properties in Wales.

They wanted to ask whether they had to do anything with regards to the properties when they move abroad, as they had heard from a landlord colleague that they had to now get an agent to look after their properties. They phoned our Landlord Advice Team seeking clarification.

Our advisor was able to inform this landlord about a law change in Wales on 21stMay 2018, which states that landlords who live 200 miles away from their property or more, MUST appoint a local* agent unless they have a locally based* staff member, formally employed on a contract of service.

This rule was bought in Rent Smart Wales, and Landlord Advice Team manager, Rupinder Aujla, said: “It is important that landlords are aware of what they must do if they leave the country”.

About the author

Victoria Barker

Victoria Barker

Victoria is the Communications Officer for the RLA.

She is responsible for producing articles for our Campaigns and News Centre, the weekly E-News newsletter and media review, and creating social media content. She also contributes to our members magazine, Residential Property Investor.


    • I can see that you have 27 approved comments on the news site. If you would like to discuss any issues further please don’t hesitate to call us at the office.

    • According to Rent Smart Wales the mileage is calculated through the use of Google maps using the shortest distance calculator. The mode of transport considered is by car.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.