Campaigns Environment, Safety and Standards Helpful Tips Tenancy Management

Gas Safety if your property is at risk of a flood

Victoria Barker
Written by Victoria Barker

GMany parts of the country have been experiencing heavy rainfall this week.

In this blog, Gas Safe take a closer look at the issue of gas safety if a property is in an area that is deemed at risk from flooding.

We’ve seen increasingly wild, wet and unpredictable weather in recent years.

If your home’s in an area that is deemed at risk from flooding, it’s useful to know how to avoid damage to your gas appliances should such an emergency arise.

Before the flood:

  • Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer for advice – upon carrying out an assessment they should be able to tell you how best to protect your appliances and pipework from water damage.

During the flood:

  • Should you be advised to evacuate your property due to flood risk then the gas supply needs to be switched off at the Emergency Control Valve (provided it is safe to do so). The ECV is normally located next to the gas meter – if you’re unsure how to switch it off or are unable to do so you can contact the Emergency Service Provider on 0800 111 999 for advice.
  • You’ll also need to contact a competent electrical person to ensure that the electrical supply to the property and all appliances using electricity are safely disconnected.
  • Should you be supplied by Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) you’ll need to take into account LPG bulk storage vessels and gas cylinders. Flood waters can sometimes cause these to move or become detached from installation pipework – before any work is carried out you’ll need to contact the relevant LPG supplier for assistance.

After the flood:

Once the waters have subsided you’ll need to check with your gas supplier what the situation is regarding the supply to your property and the area in general. Make sure you wait until the house is declared safe before operating any electrical switches/appliances or using naked flames.

Is your property already flooded?

If it’s too late for the above and the house is already flooded:

  • You’ll want to contact your gas supplier so they can advise you of the general situation in the area.
  • Before turning on the gas supply, contact a Gas Safe registered engineer so they can check that the gas installation pipework is not filled with water. If any water is found, it needs to be drained from the supply before the gas appliances can be re-checked and confirmed as safe, making them suitable for operation.
  • If you’re using pumps and generators to help clear flood waters always follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the equipment, and make sure there is enough ventilation to prevent any potential carbon monoxide exposure.

As always, remember to ask to see the ID card of any Gas Safe registered engineer you employ to do gas work in your property.

Learn more

The RLA runs courses on gas safety for landlords. With upcoming dates in Manchester and London, book your place here.

The RLA recently joined forces with the Gas Safe Register in a strategic partnership. Read more about this here.

About the author

Victoria Barker

Victoria Barker

Victoria is the Communications Officer for the RLA.

She is responsible for producing articles for our Campaigns and News Centre, the weekly E-News newsletter and media review, and creating social media content. She also contributes to our members magazine, Residential Property Investor.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.