Helpful Tips Property Management Tenancy Management

Gas Safety week: Landlords FAQs on gas safety

Victoria Barker
Written by Victoria Barker

This week is Gas Safety week, and here we are taking a look at some frequently asked questions from our landlord members when it comes to gas safety.

To learn more about how you can ensure your rental property is gas safe, check out our article.

  1. “When exactly do I need to give my tenants a copy of the gas safety certificate?” A copy of gas safety records must be provided to the existing tenant within 28 days of the check, or to new tenants before they move in.
  2. “How can I make sure my engineer is registered?” In order for a gas safety certificate to be valid, the annual gas safety check must be carried out by a registered engineer. To check this, you can visit the Gas Safety Register website.
  3. “How long is a gas safety certificate valid for” A certificate is valid for twelve months.
  4. “I have heard about MOT style checks, what does this mean?” In April this year, new rules around gas safety were introduced which mean that landlords can carry out the annual gas safety check in the two months BEFORE the due date, and they still retain the existing expiry date. You can read more about this here.

Learn more

The RLA runs a Utilities course, designed to teach landlords about their obligations on gas safety. You can check out this course here.

About the author

Victoria Barker

Victoria Barker

Victoria is the Communications Officer for the RLA.

She is responsible for producing articles for our Campaigns and News Centre, the weekly E-News newsletter and media review, and creating social media content. She also contributes to our members magazine, Residential Property Investor.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.