This week is Gas Safety Week, the annual awareness campaign run by the Gas Safe Register.
To mark the start of Gas Safety Week, the Gas Safe Register has published six top tips for landlords and homeowners to follow to ensure that their tenants – and properties – are gas safe.
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk (check out our graphic below) or call 0800 408 5500.
- Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
- Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home
Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, anyone who comes to fix, fit or service your gas appliances, pipework and flues must be on the Gas Safe Register.
Don’t leave Gas Safety on the back burner
Earlier this year, the RLA announced a new strategic partnership with the Gas Safe Register.
The association also runs a range of resources to help landlords keep their tenants-and properties gas safe. Our Utilities training course covers in detail what landlords need to be aware of relating to gas safety. And, this September, to celebrate the first birthday of the RLA Training Academy, this half day course is 25% off.
Crowd justice appeal