The month of October is National Home Security month, and to coincide with the national campaign, the RLA is mobilizing members to make sure that their rental properties-and tenants-are safe.
According to the ONS, domestic burglary incidents were up on last year by 32% to more than 250,000.
The National Home Security Month campaign has been running nationwide for six years, and this year each week the campaign will shine the line on separate issues, such as alarm systems, making sure your property has sufficient lighting at night and door locks.
And with the clocks soon to go back and the evenings getting darker earlier, keep an eye out for more content from the RLA around Home Security Month. Don’t forget that if you’re a member of ours, you’re entitled to a FREE TradePoint discount card-which you could use to improve the security of your property, for example installing outdoor lighting-at a discounted rate.
What can I do to make sure my property is as secure as it can be?
The RLA have created an interactive Safe and Secure home tool which specifies the things that landlords can do to ensure your rental property is safe and secure. This includes:
- Installing a five lever mortice lock for external timber doors or a three multi-point locking system for PVC-u external doors.
- Ensuring window locks are attached to windows easily accessible from outside (although they but must not be attached to designated escape windows).
- Installing door chains.
- Making sure the main entrance door to a shared property has a lock that meets the above standard. (The freeholder or appointed manager is responsible for this).
- Putting in burglar alarms, defender alarms and security, night lights and spy-holes.
- Ensuring doors fit properly into their frame and are free from damage.
Keen to learn more?