COMMENTING on news that the Government will review the safety standards expected of rental housing, David Smith, Policy Director for the Residential Landlords Association, said:
“We welcome the Government’s decision to review the safety standards around rented housing which the RLA has long called for. The current system has not been updated for 12 years with the guidance alongside it equally out of date.
“This review provides an important opportunity to improve enforcement against the minority of landlords who bring the sector into disrepute and fail to provide the safe accommodation they should.”
The Housing, Health and Safety Ratings System is used by local authorities to assess health and safety in residential properties – this includes both private rental properties and properties in the social housing sector.
– Ends –
- Details of the Government’s new review can be accessed at: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/greater-protection-for-renters-thanks-to-plans-to-tighten-tenant-safety.
- Further information about the Housing, Health and Safety Ratings System can be accessed at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/housing-health-and-safety-rating-system-guidance-for-landlords-and-property-related-professionals.
- The RLA’s submission to the Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee inquiry into the private rented sector can be accessed at: http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/housing-communities-and-local-government-committee/private-rented-sector/written/73509.html. This noted that: “Ministers could take a number of actions without legislation to make improvements in the private rented sector including adopting into regulations the industry supported code, updating guidance on the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System, and updating the ‘How to Rent’ guide for tenants.”
- The Residential Landlords Association: The home for landlords
- The RLA represents the interests of landlords in the private rented sector across England and Wales. We’re home to over 50,000 landlords nationwide, with a combined portfolio of over a quarter of a million properties. A growing community of landlords who trust and rely on us to deliver day-to-day support, expert advice, government campaigning, plus a range of high-quality services relevant to their needs.
- Further information about the RLA can be found at http://www.rla.org.uk/aboutus or by following it on twitter @RLA_News.
- For further information please contact Ed Jacobs on 0113 278 0211 or 07706386773 (out of office hours) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.