Last year, Manchester City Council gained approval to introduce licensing in the northern area of Crumpsall, off the back of this news the second phase of the licensing has been given the go ahead. A second consultation has started for a selective licensing scheme in the south Manchester areas of Moss Side and Rusholme. If approved this scheme could cost landlords up to £750 per home.
Selective Licensing applies to all private rented sector houses that are not licenced under HMO licensing, this includes non licensable HMOs. An area may be designated for selective licensing either (i) if the area is (or is likely to be) an area of low housing demand or (ii) the area is experiencing a significant and persistent problem caused by anti social behaviour that local authorities attribute to private sector landlords failing to take action to combat against unruly tenants. A designation can last up to five years.
The council has set out guidelines for successful applicants, to get a licence a landlord will have to be a ‘fit and proper’ person. To decide this the local authority will look at whether they have:
- any criminal convictions to do with violence, drugs, sexual offences or fraud
- broken any laws to do with housing or being a landlord
- been found guilty of unlawful discrimination.
They will have to meet standards in how they treat their tenants, including:
- giving written tenancy agreements
- putting deposits in a deposit protection scheme.
And they will have to make sure the home itself meets certain standards for things like:
- gas safety
- electrical safety
- having smoke alarms
The council is running several drop in events for residents, landlords, tenants, and interested parties to speak to officers from the Council about their concerns or queries on the proposal;
- 15 February 2017, 2.00 pm – 8.00 pm , Trinity House Community Resource Centre Grove Close (off Platt Lane), Manchester M14 5AA
- 15 March 2017, 2.00pm – 8.00 pm , Moss Side Millennium Powerhouse 140 Raby St, Manchester M14 4SL
- 13th April 2017, 2.00pm – 8.00pm , The Birch Community Centre Brighton Grove, Manchester M14 5JT
The closing date of the consultation is Friday 21st April 2017, the RLA will be replying opposing the scheme, as we do with all licensing consultations, and we urge our members to do the same.
To learn more about the consultation proposed by Manchester City Council and to have your say visit: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/10084/information_for_private_landlords/7423/consultation_proposals_for_having_licences_for_privately_rented_houses_in_moss_side_and_rusholme
To keep up to date with news, events, and licensing in Manchester visit their Local Authority Network page: https://www.rla.org.uk/lanetwork/partner.shtml?manchester-city-council