Enforcement of Rent Smart Wales has now begun. If you are a landlord or letting agent who rents out property in Wales you could face civil and criminal prosecution if you are not registered and licensed (if applicable) with Rent Smart Wales.
If you are not registered or licensed, you could face:
- Fixed Penalty Notices (of either £150/£250)
- Inability to serve valid Section 21 notices to gain possession
- Rent Repayment Orders
- Rent Stopping Orders
- Criminal Prosecutions and Fines
To avoid Rent Smart Wales enforcement action being taken against you, please take action now to comply.
There are currently an estimated 50,000 landlords who are not registered or licensed yet, even past the Rent Smart Wales deadline of 23rd November, and we are receiving calls daily about the issues landlords are having with the process. Many are complaining over the lack of telephone support from Rent Smart Wales, with some landlords saying they are having trouble getting answers on which licence they need.
To help landlords we have produced an easy three step guide to help you through this process:
- Register as a Landlord with Rent Smart Wales (costs £33.50 online or £80.50 for paper application)
- Book and undertake training course and pass assessment with the RLA
- Complete licence application
If you would like more information you can view our guide to Rent Smart Wales.
Any landlord who joins the RLA will have access to our online Rent Smart Wales course for FREE for a limited amount of time.
We have also put together a handy diagram to help you understand the different licence types and the process to get a licence for each type (if you click on the image, you can download a PDF version).