In less than two weeks time, the Tenant Fees Act will come into force in England.
The Act will make it illegal for landlord and agents to charge certain fees, for new tenancies that are signed on or after 1st June 2019.
New tenancy agreement forms for landlords
Ahead of the fee ban coming into force, the RLA has updated its tenancy agreements and forms for members.
The forms that have been updated to reflect the tenant fees ban include:
- The Assured shorthold tenancy agreement. -The RLA’s 2019 tenancy has been amended to reflect the tenant fee ban. A number of clauses have been adjusted or removed so that landlords will not be in breach of the legislation.
- Protecting your tenant’s deposit through DepositGuard > Use the DepositGuard Compliant Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement instead, or the Deposit-Guard room only agreement. Both of these forms have also been updated to reflect the upcoming Tenant Fees Act in England.
- The Initial Holding Deposits form.
Learn more about the Tenant Fee Ban
- As the 1st June 2019 draws nearer, our Landlord Advice team are receiving more calls about the new legislation. Have a read of a recent call of the week, on the tenant fee ban and student tenancies here.
- To understand more about the tenant fee ban in England, including a list of fees that will be allowed an which tenancies it will apply to on 1st June 2019, read the RLA’s Tenant Fees Act guide here.
Calculate how much deposit you will be able to take once the fee ban is in force for new tenancies by using a deposit calculator tool, developed by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.
- Are you a landlord with a property in Wales? Please note that the Tenant Fees Act applies to England only. Fees are also set to be banned in Wales, with the Renting Homes (Fees etc.) (Wales) Bill becoming an Act of the Assembly in May. Fees are due to be banned in Wales from 1st September.
- Do you have a specific question about the tenant fee ban? RLA members can give our Landlord Advice Team a call or drop them an email during working hours. Contact our advice team today.