Campaigns Welfare Reform and Homelessness

Universal Credit: New online form for landlords to request direct payments

Victoria Barker
Written by Victoria Barker

Landlords who apply via the current UC47 process to request a direct rent payment will now be able to use a digital form for requests.

The online form, which can be accessed here, can be used by landlords to request a direct payments of rent or rent arrears, replacing the UC47 paper-based form.

The online form is something the NRLA has been calling for.

Managed Payments To Landlords

Currently, a managed payment to a landlord can be made when:

  • a claimant is in arrears with their rent for an amount equal to, or more than, 2 months of their rent
  • a claimant has continually underpaid their rent over more than 2 months, and they have accrued arrears of an amount equal to or more than one month’s rent
  • any of the other Tier 1 and Tier 2 APA factors apply
  • a claimant was previously in receipt of Housing Benefit and it was paid to their landlord, a MPTL can be considered providing the claimant continues to meet the Tier 1 or Tier 2 APA factors

NRLA campaigning around welfare reform and Covid-19

During the current pandemic, the NRLA has been campaigning for a number of changes to welfare reform.

The government recently heeded the association’s call for LHA rates to be realigned to the 30th percentile or market rents. The NRLA is also calling for a temporary halt to the 5 weeks waiting period for the first installment of Universal Credit to be paid. More information for tenants on claiming universal credit can be read in our guidance here.

About the author

Victoria Barker

Victoria Barker

Victoria is the Communications Officer for the RLA.

She is responsible for producing articles for our Campaigns and News Centre, the weekly E-News newsletter and media review, and creating social media content. She also contributes to our members magazine, Residential Property Investor.


  • I have a property where I am owed over £7000 and the council refuse to pay my company direct because the tenant does not suffer from a mental illness. It is all part of empowering the tenant. I have proceeded to eviction which was successful but has been delayed due to Covid 19. Ridiculous situation as no-one gains, I lose money, the tenant loses the property and the council have to rehouse the tenant. BobG

  • how do you know if they are claiming universal credit – I have a tenant who is in at least 4 months arrears we have signposted him to UC given current situation and him out of work but unsure if he is furloughed or claiming and he isnt responding
    have now issued sect 21 but obviously with the required 3 months notice but how quickly this will be enforced after this time is very debateable

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.